Clinkers in India

Clinkers in India
© Sue Clinker - photo taken on our visit to Jaipur 2014

Sunday 6 March 2016

A few 'stray' photos from Mumbai

We're back in Whitstable and feeling the cold after being in mid 30s temperatures for a couple of weeks.    Just put the third lot of washing in the machine ... how quickly we're coming back to reality

I have thousands of photos to plough through but I won't go back and 'tweak' those on the Blog - I can see that some of the ones I posted are quite dark but I was using a new camera and wasn't totally familiar with it (plus I didn't have a decent photo-editing programme on our little travel computer)

Here's a few that should have been included on recent posts - but I simply ran out of WiFi time

We saw this little shrine in/on a tree and noticed that it was shaped like the elephant headed God, Ganesha - the God of Success



and some very nice Chai sellers where we stopped on more than one occasion ... we had to wait our turn whilst a couple of local police officers were getting their flask filled!



Had to smile at these two guys hanging a banner promoting National Safety Day/Week Campaign ... they're standing on the edge of a high-level unfenced balcony with no protective gear or scaffolding

and next door somebody obviously likes to feed the parakeets



Ice seller ... 


 Nice new modern train with shiny 'hangers' and fans.   Looks a little like a torture chamber or S&M set up!  These new trains have tannoy systems announcing the names of approaching stations in both Indian and English.



Here's an older one we travelled on ... rusting/peeling 'hangers' and walls, torn seats, dark, dingy and no tannoy announcements which made it quite exciting for us as we had to wait to see signs on the platforms to work out where we were and Indian trains stop for just 15 seconds at each station .... if you don't get off in time you travel to the next station!

 
Next to our 'local' station is the Western Railway HQ building where there is a preserved steam engine in the garden.  I'm informed by 'im indoors that this is a narrow gauge 2' 6" model built by Bagnall in Stafford, UK, in 1922






I mentioned in a previous post that after dusk these ornate horse-drawn carriages ply the streets looking for customers.   Twice I've been told off by the drivers for taking photos - they seem very sensitive about it, or rather they're probably annoyed I'm not putting any business their way.   But the promenade outside our bedroom window was a popular starting point for them so I got a few shots that way!

I have to say that overall the condition of these horses seemed to be pretty good although a couple of times I saw the driver cantering them on the roads for short sections which can't be good for them









4 comments:

  1. That top (single carriage) photo looks like a Marwari horse with the curved ears with tufts. I'd never heard of them until recently.

    So glad you're home safely even though the laundry has piled up!

    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that Jan .... I did notice the curved ears but didn't think about it being a particular trait/breed. It makes sense though.

    The laundry is now up to date ... not all was dirty but just through having been in a case for 2 weeks it needed freshening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the tree shrine, amazing. The carriages are certainly beautifully ornate but I'm always a bit iffy about using them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes I agree Di. Although the horses seemed in pretty good condition I wouldn't feel comfortable making them work!

    ReplyDelete